Thursday, June 12, 2008

Just a bit of common sense...or so I thought

Well, I was going to log in today but first life--namely work-- had other plans. And real life has to come first, always, unfortunately. *laughs*

So since I don't have any new adventures to discuss today I'll write a post that's been on the backburner for a bit, about my mildly harrowing recent experience with SL jobs.

SL is --for the most part-- strictly a game to me. That's not to say that the relationships I've forged and friends I've made are less than real, but that I use SL simply for enjoyment with no other motives. I've never invested real money into it and don't intend to, nor do I plan on gaining anything of monetary value from it; I'm not even really that concerned about having a job in-game, besides for a bit of extra shopping money. I have had jobs in SL, but they were just as much for the fun of it as anything else I do in world.

I left my last position, a hostess in a club, a few months ago when I started to not enjoy it, and SL in general. For a while after, I focused on exploring and RP-ing. But eventually my interests drifted, my RP friends began gathering less and less, and things went into a bit of a lull.

Around that time two things happened. The first being that I got back into blogging, which I had put on an extended hiatus some time ago. In that I discovered the Ch'know? blog and eventually met Alicia and CeNedra, and through them many of my new aquaintances that have brightened my SL in the past few weeks.

Secondly, a place that has been a long time hangout for myself and my friends underwent a massive expansion, and when they announced they would be hiring everything from floor models to bartenders and DJs for the myriad of new establishments, I decided it was a good time to re-enter the SL workforce.

I spoke with the sim's proprietor, who I've over the time of my patronage become rather well aquainted with. She was, by all appearances, quite interested in hiring me. After a brief discussion and interview, the owner (whom I will refer to in this post as The Boss) had arranged for me to work as a floor model (for the sake of trying something new, as I'd already worked the club circuit) for a skins shop that would be moving in. We quickly set up a schedule, hashed out wages, and everything was set. The Boss would keep in contact and let me know when the new store opened and I was to begin work.

For a while she kept me updated. I was helping her set up for events at the club (voluntarily) in the meantime, and she informed me of anything new in the sim or with the opening shop. And then, abruptly and without a word, she ended all communication.

I gave it about two weeks before I started attempting to get in touch. That was more than enough time for a shop to set up, wasn't it? However, notecards went unresponded, and IMs were ignored even if we were in the same room. I wasn't about to be as unprofessional as to bring our discussion into open chat, but apparently she was willing to be unprofessional enough to give me the silent treatment.

I shrugged and went about my merry way, not overly concerned and not really inclined to work for someone who doesn't communicate with her employees anyway. I probably wouldn't even have mentioned it, until I spoke with a friend of mine, another patron of the establishment, and learned that practically the same thing had happened to them. Apparently, this is how The Boss handles their business?

I'm not sure why the thought of this sort of behavior occurring with multiple people irritated me more than it simply happening with me, but it did. My interest has flitted off elsewhere, currently into learning how to DJ. But what bothered me is the simple fact that people are simply that unethical. I'm just the sort that follows through when they agree to something, or at least offers a reason for backing out. Though I suppose I shouldn't impose my own ethics upon others... I just find it a shame that The Boss can throw away the respect of her patrons over something as unsubstantial as this.

So business owners, I understand perhaps better than many that SL is just a game. But do try to run your business with a bit of professionalism, yea? Communicating with your employees --good or bad-- is important. Doing otherwise only causes unnecessary grief, and there are a lot of people less happy-go-lucky about their job prospects than myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a really strange way to run a business. I wonder how she's ever going to get any employees when she doesn't tell them when she wants them to work!

Recently, my alt was supposed to start working for someone, had already been added to the group, got the group tag and LM and everything. Then RL issues prevented me from logging in for 2 weeks (which I had forseen and already informed The Boss beforehand). When I came back and logged her in, the entire build was gone (as in the business premises), The Boss had unfriended her, there were no notices in the group to say what had happened, and no IM or notecard from The Boss. I never did find out what happened.

Sehra Kauffman said...

I'm sorry that happened, it seems like you both got a really raw deal. I just don't get how some people in SL operate. How can someone think pulling those kinds of stunts are ok?